Friday, October 22, 2021

Gossip

 


When I have to nail something, I will take the time to get out my air compressor, air hose, and nail gun.  Even if is one nail, I like the feel of the raw power of the nail gun.  And that has not been without a mishap or two over the years.  I am careful, but accidents do happen.  I was using my finish nail gun in White House, TN ten years ago when just such a mishap occurred.  I had two pieces of window trim that I needed to nail together like the corner of a picture frame.  It was primed wood, and I couldn’t see a knot hidden in the wood, which bent the nail and shot it into my left index finger.  The pain was sudden and intense.  But then I had to pull out the nail that was stuck in my finger.  It took me two months to recover the use of my finger.  But that wound was not nearly as bad as the wound that is caused by gossip.  Solomon said in Proverbs 18:8, “The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.”  Do you remember the little ditty, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never harm me”?  Well, that’s not true.  Words DO have the power to harm.  Gossip hurts so deeply because it involves so many people.  Gossip can destroy a reputation overnight.  Gossip involves betrayal.  And gossip is painful.  Hey, a hangnail is an irritation, but a nail gun … painful!  Lying is a sin, but gossip … very painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment