Monday, October 18, 2021

Oak-Stained Hands


Have you ever had a great idea that turned bad?  I have.  And it was just today.  Let me explain.  I have made three ladder-back chairs out of pallets.  They look sort of rustic, but that’s what they are supposed to look like.  So, a week ago, I noticed a man in our neighborhood taking down a big oak tree.  The tree company cut several logs and left them to pick up the next day.  I asked the neighbor if I could have some and left with three nice pieces of red oak tree trunks.  So, today, I split one log and planed it down to a nice thick board.  It took 50 or 60 passes in my planer, and I got a pretty good workout moving the pieces of wood in and out.  But when I came in to get ready for church and washed my hands, the oak stain wouldn’t come off.  Yikes!  I scrubbed and scrubbed in the shower, but still came out with black on my fingertips and palms.  And I led the song in church tonight!  I just could not get my hands clean. I was reminded of what Isaiah said in Isaiah 1:18, “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”  We can do our best to remove sin’s stain, but we just can’t do it!  Our wickedness are like red blotches all over our guilty hands.  And like my oak stains, we can do nothing to remove the stains.  But, praise the Lord, Jesus Christ can make our sin stain as white as snow; as clean as wool on a baby lamb.  Jesus can take care of my sin stain.  But my oak-stained hands …  well, that’s another matter.  Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment